Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Before I Became a Mother

I hate this time of year. It's cold and ugly outside and the kids get bored on a regular basis. This is the time when I start longing for spring. So we can get out! I always feel this way but this year with Greg being gone it's a little worse. Well better in some ways and worse in others. The mornings are pretty good. Monday through Thursday we have something every morning whether it is preschool for Eva, playgroup or story time at the library. Plus I try to have a play date at least once a week with some of my friends. But the afternoons, evenings and weekends are becoming torturous! Without Greg being here to help it's up to me to keep these girls entertained morning, noon and night! And oh boy it's taking it's tole. To give you an example this was my day yesterday.
I got up, got myself and the girls ready for the day and made breakfast.
Skyped with Greg.
Went to play group.
Came home, made lunch.
Put Layla down for her nap.
Talk on the phone a little and got on the computer while Eva watched a movie.
Once Layla woke up I got them a snack.
Then I proceeded to......do puzzles, the lite Brite, play I Spy, sing songs, color, play house and make a fort with the girls.
Made dinner somewhere in between all of that.
Snack, bath, stories and bed.
By the end of the night I was so done. Couldn't wait to have the girls in bed so I could just relax and watch a show that doesn't involve sing-a-longs or cartoons. I love my girls to death but man there is only so much playing I can do before i want to pull my hair out! So then I started to think about how much being a mother has changed my life. How different things are. And so I will leave you with this......
Before I became a Mother.

Before I became a mother I never new what a corn dog taste like.

I didn't realize that my daughter would think 6, 5 or even 4:30am was an acceptable time to wake up & start the day.

That it's not uncommon to have Snow White, Finding Nemo, Bolt, Sherk or Toy Story playing in a continues loop all day.

That when a toddler is sick they will NOT tell you when they are about to throw up and it WILL end up all on you!

Before I became a Mother I never realized that it is inevitable that the minute you sit down to take a break after vacuuming, putting away clothes, making dinner or taking the trash out your child will ask for...a drink of water, a snack, a toy they can't reach or something else that will make you get back up and on your feet. ( I think my girls have this one down perfectly)

That your child will change their mind on what they want for breakfast, lunch or dinner only after you already made them the first item they asked for.

Eating with one hand while bouncing a baby on your lap or better yet nursing a baby is just an everyday occurrence.

Before I became a Mother I never new that at some point in your toddlers life they will do at least one if not all of the following...play with their poop or someones poop, pee the bed, eat dirt or a bug, play in the toilet, unroll the toilet paper, spill nail polish, makeup or red juice on the carpet and last but not least have a major melt down in a public place that will cause you to almost, not actually but almost resort to some sort of child abuse.

That when little girls get their feelings hurt it is the end of the world and takes lots of hugs and kisses before everything is alright.

Before I became a Mother I didn't have "Goodnight Moon" memorized.

Or realize that it will be a long time before I can take a shower or go to the bathroom without an audience.

And that your purse will always have a diaper, wipes and candy in case of any emergency.

Before I became a Mother I never knew that this would all be worth it.

3 comments:

Shelli said...

You are such a good mommy, I know it's gotta be hard doing it on your own day after day, but like you said it is all worth it. One day in the future you will look back and be so thankful you had the blessing of being a stay at home mom. Those bonds and relationships will last forever, and your daughters will remember so many good things about you. I am so thankful I have had the opportunity to be a mother...it was and still is one of the greatest blessings in my life. Love you.

Ty and Jenn said...

Andrea that was so perfectly said. Being a mother is the hardest job but the most worthwhile job. I've always thought you are the most patient, loving, and interactive mom. You have smart beautiful girls. I'm sorry I don't live closer because we would love a play date with you and your girls. Thanks for your example!

Amber said...

True that. :)